Monday, August 31, 2009

What's a Mom to do~


My pickle wickle has been in 1st grade now for 8 days and my heart hurts for him. I'm sure there will be many more moments that I will want to scoop him up and bring him home and keep him safe with me. So far he loves and I mean loves the whole concept of School Lunch. He loves that we pick out the days that he is having School lunch and the days that he is having home lunch. He tells me that it is the best lunch that he has ever had! (everyday!) He loves recess and really who wouldn't. He loves to play with all of his friends. He is such a good boy that his teacher has never put a clip next to his name (a clip is a bad thing). I thought that we should celebrated his first week in school, so we had a special "Dilly Day" on Friday and we went swimming and then went home and ate pizza and watched a movie. He loved it. He has had a hard time with the adjustment from Kindergarten to 1st grade. He loved that Kindergarten was just half of the day and 1st grade is just too long. I mean really he is just six I think that it probably is too long. He cried one night to me that he just wants to come home and play. He has also been lost in the school twice now and for his sake his school is a maze. I have gotten lost in there and I had to ask for help from a student. Today I picked him up and he is on the verge of tears and I said what's wrong he had taken a wrong turn and lost his class. They were playing outside when the bell rang to go home and he got lost going back to his class. I just felt so bad for him. He has also had a boy in his class bugging him. Whenever he lines up for something this boy kicks him in the behind. Dylan tells him to stop and has even told his teacher but this boy is still bothering him. The mom in me wants to find this kid and tell him to be nice or he is going to sit in time-out. I tell Dylan to tell him in a loud and stern voice to leave him alone. But it doesn't work. The poor kid was also yelled at by a 3rd grade girl that he was taking a drink in the drinking fountain for to long. I think that maybe I made him be too nice his whole life and now I wish he had a little bit of "mean" in him. I know these are very small things and I will have to go through more difficult things the next 12 years he is in school but he's my first and my baby and I want to protect him. This too shall pass, I'm sure in like a week, but today I hurt for my buddy...

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Tiffany,
My heart aches, too! Darn it, I'm sorry Dylan's had some bad days...
To quote his K teacher (she shared this with me and I agree!), "Dylan is perfect in every way!!!"
You have done an amazing job with him!!!
I hear ya-- when my kids hurt or when someone has been mean to them, I can hardly take it. It is completely normal and justified for you to want to protect and help him-- always!
Will chat with you more tomorrow...

wandering nana said...

Oh poor Dylan. Why do mean kids pick on nice kids. Wait until Sophie goes, girls are far worse. Just hug him and tell him how wonderful he is and remind him of all the nice kids and try hard not to mention what a jerk the mean kid is, however, I would tell him what a jerk the mean kid is!

grannie jaon said...

Damn a bully bugging my dilly-bug.. I can't take that.
I'm going to have to give dilly-bug more hugs and kisses when I see him. And This is only the beginning of being a Mom. Some tiems you want to just follow them around to make sure no one hurts them or says mean things to them. LOVE YA ALL